Sunday 2 January 2011

SCARY CUSHION

First post of the new year!! Enjoy!

Finally finished my rather creepy and disturbing skull cushion- i rather like it although i think a slightly different subject matter would endear it more as a 'cushion'. I do like the rather grungy edge to it and (as you will note on a previous post, Embroidery Hoops Wed 8th Dec) it was the spring-board for the idea of using embroidery hoops (circles are always symbolic). The quote, if you can read it, is from Webster's The Duchess of Malfi: 'the robin redbreast and the nightingale never live long in cages' (one of my favourite quotes from the Duchess before she dies). The cushion now sits on my bookshelf next to my lovely Joanna Teague Mr Darcy cushion, I am becoming rather a fan of using literature quotes in art. Out of their context they can be so effective and moving when combined with the right imagery. Perhaps I should have used Hamlet's 'To be or not to be' inside the skull. Anyway, all opinions are welcome, I know it isn't to everyone's taste, but for my final piece and (more) development work I am moving back towards the silhouette of a bird in the sky and the concept of loneliness rather than death. Happy New Year- who knows what this year will bring!

No comments:

Post a Comment