Tuesday 28 September 2010

LAYERING-UP IN MIXED MEDIA

After the wax expreiments, I decided to look at layering images up with fabrics and cards. I sewed into the cards to embelish them, however, the cads below are too new and clean, I will either tea-stain them or find some vintage cards in a charity shop to use.


In the piece above, I used a teabag and wax to trap one of my own photos of a domino in wax and then layered cards and fabric behind. The background is an assotone print of my photo of dominoes which I printed onto Scrabble instructions. I quite like this piece, especially sewing into the cards and this is something I could look at in more depth.


Although I did not hand stitch this piece, I used the sewing machine to sew the cards together, mixing playing cards with monopoly cards. I like how the loose ends of the thread hangs down, like Debbie Smyth (see Evacuation Project) I find leaving loose ends on work can be very effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment