Sunday 5 December 2010

AT HOME WITH THE GEORGIANS

As some of you may know, I have a small obsession with Jane Austen and Georgian Architecture, one day I will live in a house that looks like this:
Or perhaps this:
I simply adore how 'classy' and grand they appear. There is no need to have a house this large OTHER than to show off your wealth and status. All these photos are my own and from some of the best days (so sad I know) of my life.
Any Pride and Prejudice fans recognise this shot? Lyme Park aka Pemberley. Claydon House- inside is setting for 1996 version of Emma.
If you have not seen this one, then Kiera Knightley would be horrified (but perhaps not as much as I). Basildon Park.

Some fab fellow Jane Austen fans.
And finally, on of the best weeks of my life (so far I hasten to add), the Assembly Rooms in Bath (woah!!), as well as the Royal Crescent in Bath, which is beautiful and the setting for the ITV adaption of Persuasion. The only issue I have with that adaption (and it is the only issue because I love it)is that Anne Elliot is actually mean to live in Camden Place, not the Crescent below.
A more realistic house to aim for:
Jane Austen's house in Bath! Yah!! Now an office, unfortunately.
Anyway, the whole point of this post is (not only to get my love out in the wider world for ridicule) but to say that the new series on BBC Two entitled 'At Home With the Georgians' is brilliant and well worth a watch. I have found my new role model in Prof. Amanda Vickery and am hopefully getting her two books for Christmas (I have dropped some subtle hints). Follow the links below to have a look at her blog or watch the last episode. Enjoy!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/tv/2010/12/at-home-with-the-georgians.shtml
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00wh6lz/At_Home_with_the_Georgians_A_Mans_Place/
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=amanda+vickery&x=0&y=0

No comments:

Post a Comment