Sunday 17 October 2010

BIRDS OF A FEATHER

New Project time! This time it is Birds and Feathers, I have actually been working on this for the last few weeks (hence many of the artist links are bird- related), at the same time as finishing off the Games projects.

I love birds (any wild life really) and would advise anyone to join the RSPB or at least visit one of their reserves, it's very relaxing and great fun! My favourite reserve is at The Mull of Galloway in Scotland (we used to visit it a lot as children) we would stay on a caravan site nearby and then cycle down for a wander round or an ice cream. And that was one day gone. It's a beautiful place to visit.

My first photo shoot for this project was of the ducks which wander across from the field opposite, they go onto out neighbours pond and I was able tempt them close enough with bread and crackers. All these photos were taken with me sat on the step of the front door with my sister throwing bread over my head! Adorable aren't they? I've done a few weeks of observations now, working with these photo's using sellotape, pen, ink and monoprinting.
The picture above, in my opinion is very effective, I emulsion printed a photocopy of one of my photos, then worked over it in inks and watercolours to highlight the subtle shades of the duck. I then used Biro to add depth to the shading and emphasise the darker tones. I think the inks work well, as does the use of pen over emulsion.
Below I monoprinted some of my images, some onto fabric (worked well, as the fabric absorbed the ink) and some onto old letters and paper, which offer a nice contrast to the simple images.
I scanned the monoprints into the computer then printed them out to work over as the monoprint ink is soluble and would run if I worked over them in inks, which is what I wanted to do. I didn't want to ruin or waste these lovely and very cure pieces!These are the worked into pieces, I used mainly brown, yellow, orange and green inks to create the shades, however, the colours are too bright and a little garish. I think I would be better to either water the inks down or use watercolour paints.

Although I like these pieces (they would be good for illustration or a graphics piece) they are not as effective or as strong as the first piece I did, with the emulsion and pen, I will experiment using emulsion printing and the use of softer tones and colours, as the duck pieces above are too bright.

Any thoughts or ideas as to where this project could lead, feel free to comment, all feedback is much appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment