Tuesday 23 November 2010

PINS, THREAD AND FEATHERS

This piece is inspired by the work of Debbie Smyth (see link to her blog), however I focused on the motif of a dead bird and gradually added it's own feathers around it. I wanted the piece to both silhouette the poor pheasant, the threads and pins symbolising how frail life is, as they could so easily bend and the loose threads fall away. I also, however, wanted the piece to seen a bit ironic, the feathers should be inside the outline in the empty space and on the bird, yet they are not. They are still part of the bird, but outline it's death rather than its life.

After all, the bird had to be dead for me to get the feathers, so I think it is only respectful to use them in an art piece dedicated to it.

Some of the featheres are pinned in whereas others are tied into the thread, I wanted to add a bit to the ouline. I think more pieces using feathers will be on the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment