Wednesday 16 March 2011

BERNINA TIME

Usually for my free machining, I use one of the college's Janome's, mainly because I do most of it at college, or plan to do free machining at college because there is more space to spread out and the art room is lighter than my kitchen (so it is easier to see what I'm doing!) however today I came home a bit early so I thought I'd have a go on my mum's Bernina. Bear in mind that the last time I used this, it broke and therefore went on a little trip to Manchester (the breakage had more to do with the fact that it hadn't been service in 10 years but me forcing waxed card and various other bits through it did not help). However I think the piece turned out quite well once I started to get the hang of it, the two big flowers on the right (with the wavy edges) were done on a Janome, the rest on the Bernina. I know this isn't my best work, but it was interesting to see the difference between the machines. The Janomes are definitely more 'free' and sketch like, but the stitching on the Bernina is much tighter. I don't think I got the tension quite right when using the Bernina, but for my first attempt at free machining on it I'm quite impressed! At least I know that if I want to machine a bit at home, or don't quite finish a piece in college I have the option to work at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment